The Huntley Community Association (HCA) is a not-for-profit, volunteer-led group of local citizens, who are eager to make a difference in our community.
|Shelley McCormick||Vice President|
|Judy Makin||Mess Hall Director|
|Brian Nemes||Bar Events Co-Director|
|Karen Nemes||Bar Events Co-Director|
|Sam Bakewell||Director of Financial Sustainability|
|George Tzavelas||Technology Director|
|Scott Boassaly||Volunteer/Membership Director|
|Kelly Betts||Communications Director|
|Scott Boassaly||Outdoor Rink Director|
|Sarah Reid||Special Events Director|
|Allan Joyner||Director at Large – Community Liaison|
|Sally Clelford||Director at Large|
|Scott Boassaly||Sports Director|
|Ingrid Hunt||Past President|
Our meetings are normally held the second Thursday of every month at the Mess Hall @ 7pm. Our meetings are open to the public. (City officials and others from outside the community are welcome as well).
We love to hear from people who want to volunteer. Be a part of a team that will continue to make our community one we’re proud to call home! E-mail us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Being a rural community association we service a wide area that includes the following (click on the picture for a larger version):
The Huntley Community Association started in the late 1950’s under the name “Huntley Community Centre” with the Burger Booth at the Carp Fair being one of its first endeavours. Since its inception the HCA has been active in spearheading the the creation of sports facilities and raising money for their construction.
The original softball diamond used to be located near the Agricultural Hall on the fairgrounds. The current ball diamonds were built in the 1960’s.
The original outdoor skating rink was located on Rivington Street and was built sometime in the 1940’s. In the early 1970’s the HCA raised money to build a new outdoor rink facility. One of the biggest fund raisers was a “walk” between Carp and Kinburn where participants sought pledges to complete the walk. Another fundraiser was a snowmobile drag race which occurred on the land where Huntley Centennial is now located. Members of the community also donated generously. The architecture of the slanted roof for the community centre building was chosen to permit the rink to be re-configured into a “covered” rink should the need arise. There was great excitement when the rink was opened, it was a real showcase in the area. At the time, the other communities of Kinburn, Fitzroy Harbour, and Dunrobin still had wood shacks but of course soon followed with new rinks/community centres of their own. The rink has always been busy from December to March with skating parties, carnivals, broomball, bean suppers and of course hockey.
The tennis courts were also built in mid 1970’s after the outdoor rink.
The W. Erskine Johnston arena was opened in the early 1980’s. When it opened it served the entire township of West Carleton. Once again, the community rallied in behind the HCA is raising funds for its construction.
The soccer fields were built in the early 1990’s when Langstaff Drive was extended.
The mess hall was part of C.F.S. Carp (Diefenbunker). The base personnel used this facility for recreation and social purposes. The HCA was permitted to use the ball diamonds behind the mess. After C.F.S. Carp was decommissioned in 1994, the HCA purchased the building from the government to use as a meeting place.